This is Australia's national tourism office responsible for promoting Australia as an international tourism destination It strongly encourages the development of the cruise industry.
The organisation is active in 15 key markets and activities include advertising, PR and media programs, trade shows and industry programs, consumer promotions, online communications and consumer research.
In 2017 Tourism Australia celebrated 50 years since the Australian Government established the Australian Tourist Commission, which later became Tourism Australia, to promote Australia to business and leisure travellers.
Tourism Australia's objectives are:
- To influence people to travel to Australia, including for events;
- To influence people travelling to Australia to also travel throughout Australia;
- To influence Australians to travel throughout Australia, including for events;
- To help foster a sustainable tourism industry in Australia; and
- To help increase the economic benefits to Australia from tourism.